A number of canal front developments open onto the North Sound, a large, natural, reef protected ‘sound’ or body of water in the center of Grand Cayman.
Similar to those in parts of Florida, these man made waterways have been developed over time to meet the ever increasing demands of Cayman’s residents to have safe and secure boat docking facilities with easy access to all of North Sound’s amenities and activities, plus the wonders of the Caribbean Sea just outside the reef. Each development has its own unique qualities and feel, but essentially all of them offer a great way to combine boating with everyday life. The areas include:
- Salt Creek – One of the most recent DART additions to the canal front communities of Grand Cayman. Covenants ensure a strong emphasis on architectural design and energy efficient/LEED certified construction. Ranging from classic West Indian, Spanish and Floridian inspired to minimalist modern and a communal play are next to the gatehouse, Salt Creek is also within walking distance to The Kimpton Seafire Resort & Residences.
- Vista del Mar – Possibly the most distinguished of all canal and waterfront communities in Cayman. Vista del Mar boasts its own natural beauty and topography like no other on the North Sound, and any development is to protect and enhance that. A fortunate few lots are facing the North Sound, with great elevations and access to one of the protected marinas on the canal side of the development. With strict architectural and building covenants, owners also have access to 24 hour security, the communal tennis courts and club house. Although this luxury gated community is quite mature, the last parcels are now being developed into some of the most impressive residences you will find on Grand Cayman’s real estate market.
- Cayman Islands’ Yacht Club – A mix of luxury condos and villas, all canal front with a view of the newly rebuilt and modernized Cayman Islands Yacht Club featuring a public sea wall, a fuel station/convenience store, two restaurants and public boat docks.
- Governors Harbour – Lush and tree lined, Governor’s Harbour is an older community with a mix of family homes and condos; the most recent addition would be LUXE condo’s. There is a wonderful mix of homes here, from cozy to luxurious, all with mature yards and canal access from streets named Nelson Quay, Drake Quay, Magellan Quay, Raleigh Quay and Cook Quay. Close to Seven Mile Beach, and walking distance to the new Kimpton Seafire Resort & Residences.
- Canal Point – Directly across from Seven Mile Beach and it’s condos, a supermarket and some fantastic shopping, spas, offices and dining is the gated community of Canal Point. Mature and distinguished Canal Point offers safe mangrove rich canals and gorgeous homes.
- Safehaven – Indeed a safe haven consisting of canal front and garden facing homes and condos, such as Turnberry. A variety of property prices here as you can choose from home or condo and most of the properties year are mature and very quiet. Super close to all the West Bay Road corridor.
- Crystal Harbour – A much newer gated community with pretty much every luxury architectural style imaginable: Spanish, modern, Floridian, West Indian, Asian adobe and New Mexican inspired. Landscaping is in its early stages, this community has become popular with professionals who love the golf course and north sound access on their front door step, and also spec-home developers. Crystal Harbour is also home to the recent NCB developments; Cypress Pointe, Cypress Pointe North and Solara, gated townhouse communities at entry level pricing. Lalique Pointe is one of the final phases in Crustal Harbour, and has both canal fronting and North Sound facing lots.
- Britannia – This canal and golf course multi-phase condo and house resort style development, each phase boasts its own private pools and clubhouses, with lush landscaping all around. Some properties have and dock/canal access to the North Sound, others have verdant views over the greens. An older community that is popular among those who enjoy the carefree lifestyle of condo living with the amenities of Seven Mile Beach and Camana Bay, literally next door and across West Bay Road. For a limited time, residents will still be able to use the Beach Suites facilities, gym and Hemingways facilities on the beach.
- Red Bay – Home of the Cayman Islands’ Sailing Club and a collection of gated canal front homes and single standing homes. There is some land still for sale here, an affordable way to own canal front in a neighbourhood that is close to town, Grand Harbour shopping and the beaches of South Sound and Spotts.
- Grand Harbour – This multi-phase, mixed use development benefits from the convenience of The Shoppes at Grand Harbour. Think school, restaurant, pharmacy, supermarket, wine store and then the rugby, squash and tennis club nearby. the hidden benefit of Grand Harbour is the in the groundwork and free-form canal systems. Expertly cleared and filled for a high slab elevation, the canals were also lined with an excellent keystone wall system which will last for decades longer, each lot has its own 40ft cantilevered dock. Periwinkle is the latest development in Cayman Grand Harbour, which will be residential units of all sizes, modern LEED certified construction with traditional Cayman styling.
- Patrick’s Island – This classic neighbourhood is popular for those who are looking for a well established, quiet and mature community. There are still some land parcels available. Homes here do not stay on the market very long. A true family friendly location attracting the corporate industry and offering a variety of architectural styles.
- Omega Bay – one canal and one street across from Patrick’s Island, Omega Bay has somewhat lower priced properties with more condominiums available. Home as the end of Omega Bay and facing out to North Sound are magnificent and certainly worth a visit if they do come onto the market.
- North Sound Estates – Possibly the oldest canal front subdivision, further east in Newlands, North Sound Estates offers lower priced canal front choices with smaller parcels and homes. There is still land available here, a few with seawalls and dock space. Leeward and Windward streets are run on either side of a long canal with side canals/streets splitting off of the two main roads.
- Sunrise Landing – To the west of Newlands, this gated community offers much larger land parcels and its fair share of stunning homes that range from large to luxurious with every imaginable amenity.
The new bypass that stretches from West Bay into George Town, and from Spotts into town, make canal front living even more accessible, most canal front communities are now no more than 15 minutes away from the CBD of George Town.
Types of Properties Available in these areas
Canal front homes featuring docks or boat slips on the property. Town house developments are becoming increasingly popular too due to their proximity to George Town and also offer boat docking for the residents benefit. Properties for sale in Cayman on the open waters of the North Sound, and some of the smaller basins are described as water front. These waterways and canals attract a large number of professionals who want to have the freedom to take their boat out at a moments notice. Whilst some of the developments are well established there a number of newer ones still emerging with plots available. Learn more about buying land in Cayman.
The protected water conditions allow year round enjoyment, even when the seas are rough around the rest of the Island, the North Sound remains relatively calm.
The Cayman Islands Yacht Club, the Cayman Islands Sailing Club in Red Bay and the George Town Yacht Club/Barcadere offer excellent marine services and amenities for sailors and boaters. The respective yacht clubs host regular fishing tournaments and the sailing club plans several regattas and sailing instruction throughout the year. Recently boat accessible bar and restaurant culture has boomed with Morgans, Bácaro and Anchors in the Cayman Islands Yacht Club. Osetra Bay, Calypso Grill and Catch Restaurant & Lounge are all nestled in Morgan’s Harbour on the north sound. Last but not least all the retail therapy and restaurants of Camana Bay, Kaibo, Rum Point and the Ritz-Carlton restaurants are just a quick dash by boat across the North Sound.
Other Unique Points of Interest in this Cayman Community
Trying you hand at fishing means you can Catch of the Day can be Tuna, Wahoo, Marlin, Snapper, Mahi-Mahi and many other local fish. Lobster and conch are local specialities when in season. Fishing, whether it be deep sea, bone fishing or line fishing is a national pastime.