A number of canal front developments open onto the North Sound, a large, natural, reef protected sound in the center of Grand Cayman
The man made waterways have been developed over time to meet the ever increasing demands of Cayman’s residents to have safe and secure boat docking facilities with easy access to all of North Sound’s amenities and activities. Each development has its own unique qualities and feel but essentially all of them offer a great way to combine boating with everyday life. The areas include:
- Salt Creek – One of the newer and more upscale luxurious canal front communities. Strict covenants ensure a unique and very private feel to this community. Surrounded my lush green mangroves with fantastic landscaping and architecture that ranges from classic West Indian, Spanish and Floridian inspired to minimalist modern with large bright open spaces.
- Vista del Mar – Bordering the Cayman Islands’s Yacht Club and facing over the iron shore of the north sound. Although this luxury gated community is quite mature, the last parcels are now being developed into large villa. Residents have boat docks and north sound access via a private canal.
- Cayman Islands’ Yacht Club – A mix of luxury condos and villas, all canal front with a view of the newly rebuilt and modernized Cayman Islands Yacht Club featuring a public sea wall, a fuel station/convenience store, two restaurants and public boat docks.
- Governors Harbour – Lush and tree lined, Governor’s Harbour is an older community with a mix of family homes and condos. There is a wonderful mix of homes here, from cozy to luxurious, all with mature yards and canal access from streets named Nelson Quay, Drake Quay, Magellan Quay, Raleigh Quay and Cook Quay. Close to Seven Mile Beach, shopping, restaurants, Camana Bay and the International School.
- Canal Point – Directly across from Seven Mile Beach and it’s condos, a supermarket and some fantastic shopping, spas, offices and dining is the gated community of Canal Point. Mature and distinguished Canal Point offers safe mangrove rich canals and gorgeous homes.
- Safehaven – Indeed a safe haven consisting of canal front and garden facing homes and condos. A variety of property prices here as you can choose from home or condo and most of the properties year are mature and very quiet. Super close to all the amenities of Seven Mile Beach, Camana Bay and close to the International School.
- Crystal Harbour – A much newer gated community with pretty much every luxury architectural style up for grabs. Spanish, modern, Floridian, West Indian, Asian adobe and new Mexican inspired. Landscaping is in its early stages, this neighbourhood is a favourite among professionals who love the golf course and north sound access on their front door step.
- Britannia – This canal and golf course neighbourhood consists by en large of condo communities, each with each own private pools, clubhouses and dock/canal access to the northsound. An older neighbourhood that’s a favourite among those who enjoy the carefree lifestyle of condo living with the amenities of Seven Mile Beach and Camana Bay literally next door and across the road.
- Red Bay – Home of the Cayman Islands’ Sailing Club and a collection of gated canal front homes and single standing homes. There is some land still for sale here, an affordable way to own canal front in a neighbourhood that is close to town, Grand Harbour shopping and the beaches of South Sound and Spotts.
- Grand Harbour – This community benefits from the convenience of The Shoppes at Grand Harbour. Think school, restaurant, pharmacy, supermarket, bottle store and then the rugby, squash and tennis club nearby. Homes here are high range to luxury each with a boat dock.
- Patrick’s Island – This classic neighbourhood is an old favourite of investors who are looking for a well established, quiet and mature neighbourhood. There are still some land parcels available. Homes here do not stay on the market very long. A true family friendly location attracting the corporate industry and offering a variety of architectural styles.
- Omega Bay – one canal and one street across from Patrick’s Island, Omega Bay has somewhat lower priced properties with more condominiums available. Home as the end of Omega Bay and facing out to North Sound are magnificent and certainly worth a visit if they do come onto the market.
- North Sound Estates – Further East in the neighbourhood of Newlands, North Sound Estates offers lower priced canal front choices with smaller parcels and homes. There is still land available here, a few with seawalls and dock space. Leeward and Wind ward streets are run on either side of a long canal with side canals/streets splitting off of the two main roads.
- Sunrise Landing – To the west of Newlands, this gated community offers much larger land parcels and its fair share of stunning homes that range from large to luxurious with every imaginable amenity.
The new bypass that stretches from West By into George Town and from Newlands and Spotts into town make canal front living even more accessible, most neighbourhoods are now no more than 15 minutes away from the CBD.
Types of Properties Available in these areas
Canal front homes featuring docks or boat slips on the property. Town house developments are becoming increasingly popular too due to their proximity to George Town and also offer boat docking for the strata’s benefit. Properties for sale in Cayman on the open water of the North Sound and some of the smaller basins are described as water front. These waterways and canals attract a large number of professionals who want to have the freedom to take their boat out at a moments notice. Whilst some of the developments are well established there a number of newer ones still emerging with plots available. Learn more about buying land in Cayman.
The protected water conditions allow year round enjoyment, even when the seas are rough around the rest of the Island, the North Sound remains relatively calm.
The Cayman Islands Yacht Club, the Cayman Islands Sailing Club in Red Bay and the George Town Yacht Club/Barcadere offer excellent marine services and amenities for sailors and boaters. The respective yacht clubs host regular fishing tournaments and the sailing club plans several regattas and sailing instruction throughout the year. Recently boat accessible bar and restaurant culture has boomed with Morgans, Bácaro and Anchors in the Cayman Islands Yacht Club. Osetra Bay, Calypso Grill and Catch Restaurant & Lounge are all nestled in Morgan’s Harbour on the north sound. Last but not least all the retail therapy and restaurants of Camana Bay, Kaibo, Rum Point and the Ritz-Carlton restaurants are just a quick dash by boat across the North Sound.
Other Unique Points of Interest in this Cayman Community
Trying you hand at fishing means you can Catch of the Day can be Tuna, Wahoo, Marlin, Snapper, Mahi-Mahi and many other local fish. Lobster and conch are favourites when in season. Fishing, whether it be deep sea, bone fishing or line fishing is a national pastime.